- General Information
- Qualification Awarded
- Level of Qualification
- Admission Requirements
- Arrangements for the Recognition of Prior Learning
- Qualification Requirements and Regulations
- Profile of the Programme
- Key Learning Outcomes
- Occupational Profiles of Graduates
- Access to Further Studies
- Courses - Term, Credit and ECTS Credit
- Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading
- Graduation Requirements
- Mode of Study
- Programme Director
- Courses – Key Learning Outcomes Relation Matrix
- NQF-HETR/Program Competencies Matrix
The purpose of the Statistics Undergraduate Program is to provide students with fundemental knowledge of social sciences involving extensive statistical theory and methods supported by computer sciences.
The general structure of the undergraduate program of statistics is formed and shaped within the framework of the objectives above. The compulsory courses offered in the curriculum are composed of as follows: 46% regarding statistics and mathematics, 22% regarding computer, 21% regarding social, economic and administrative sciences, and 11% regarding other compulsory courses. Undergraduate program is predominantly based on the main branches of statistical science courses as well as the computer science courses. Thus, an academic background is provided for undergraduates to take positions in business life such as Statistician and Web Programmer.
Electives consist of courses related to statistics, social sciences, computer sciences and economics and business. Students are also able to prefer management courses such as accounting, system analysis, decision support systems, portfolio management, in addition to economics and sociology courses, which enable them an additional advantage in professional life.
This ideal Undergraduate Program of Statistics, designed with a new conceptual framework within an interdisciplinary insight, aims at training labor required not only in Turkey but also in all World countries. The program is carried out by young and dynamic academicians of the department with the contribution of outstanding faculty members of the other universities in Ankara.
Statistics, Bachelor's Degree (First Cycle)
Level of Qualification
Bachelor's Degree (First Cycle)
Admissions to the programs are made in accordance with the rules and regulations set down by The Higher Education Council of Turkey in compliance with the laws and statutes. Students apply to Ufuk University on the dates announced in order to complete their enrolment to the programs. Unless a written excuse is presented, enrolment procedures have to be carried out by the students themselves individually. The process is administered by the Student Registrar's Office.
Arrangements for the Recognition of Prior Learning
Depending on the degrees awarded, theoretical or practical courses taken as part of a degree (completed or not completed) may lead to recognition of these as prior learning by the programme administration. The students who have taken courses in another institution in Turkey or abroad can ask for credit and grade transfer. The executive boards of relevant programme will decide on the courses to be transferred covering students' entire academic program once and for all with the condition that the request for transfer be made within the first week of the academic year, the requests cannot be repeated.
Qualification Requirements and Regulations
To earn a Bachelors degree: A student is required to successfully complete the designated eight semester- program of courses to accumulate a minimum of 240 ECTS credits and have a minimum GPA of 2.00/4.00 .
To earn an associate degree: A student is required to successfully complete the designated program of courses that are listed for the first four semesters of the program to meet a minimum of 120 ECTS credit requirement and have a minimum GPA of 2.00/4.00
Profile of the Programme
The Department of Statistics is committed to equip the students with the proficiency in the areas of the basic applied and theoretical statistics. The other important aim of the department is to equip the students with capability of computer programming by using up to date programming languages and at the same time being able to set and manage computer systems. The Department intends to equip its graduates with the capability of taking responsibility in any organization that needs statistical researchers, statistical analysts, computer programmers, computer system designers, operators and managers. Our academic program contains basic and advanced applied statistics, statistical theory, and mathematics along with basic and advanced programming courses under different programming languages. Our graduates may be the assistants to decision makers or they may turn out to be well qualified decision makers.
Key Learning Outcomes
LO1.They know fundamental concepts about statistics and probability.
LO2. They evaluate fundamental statistics and mathematics concepts and events occurring in real world with analytical thinking.
LO3. They overlook fundamental concepts about information technologies.
LO4. They evaluate the effects of statistics and probability practices with other sciences.
LO5. They have the ability to choose the method to be used in statistics field, to use that method and to evaluate it.
LO6. They use the theoretical and applied knowledge gained in statistics field by adjusting them to the necessities of the company for which he/she is working.
LO7. They have the ability to use database, web programs and develop software.
LO8. They have the ability to interpret and evaluate data, to identify the problems, to analyse them, to develop solutions based on researches and evidences.
LO9.The capability of controlling the literature to conduct the studies in statistics field and to gain research method knowledge and they can apply team working abilities to reach efficient results in interdisciplinary studies.
LO10. The capability of evaluating hypothesis, idea and theories in statistics field with sceptical, reasonable, analytical, independent and critical aspect. Moreover, in unforeseen, complicated cases the capability of develoing new approaches and offer solutions taking responsibilities.
LO11. The capability of following foreign studies, getting involved in internationalsocial interaction and scientific groups ve sharing his/her own studies with others internationally.
LO12. The capability of using European Computer use licence advanced computer software and information and communication technologies. They have the basic supervisor knowledge about computer operation systems.
LO13. They can apply the knowledge gained in statistics field and problem-solving abilities into interdisciplinary studies. Moreover,in collecting data, interpreting,applying and announcing them, they behave appropriate to social, cultural, scientific and ethic values.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Graduates of the department are equipped with knowledge and skills that they are capable of collecting and analyzing data and making forecasts in different areas such as economics, operations research, biology, health and social sciences. Our graduates are also equipped with knowledge in computer programming, designing and setting computing systems, usage of computer hardware and software. Our graduates are employed in the statistics, research and computing centers of public and private sectors.
Access to Further Studies
May apply to master's or doctorate degree programmes in any field.
Courses - Term, Credit and ECTS Credit
- 1 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 1 Compulsory EKO101 ECONOMICS I 3 5 1 Compulsory ING101 ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS I 3 3 1 Compulsory MAT101 CALCULUS I 3 5 1 Compulsory SOS101 INTRODUCTION to SOCIOLOGY 3 5 1 Compulsory TUR101 TURKISH I - 2 1 Compulsory IST100 INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTER 3 5 1 Compulsory IST105 STATISTICAL METHODS I 3 5 - 2 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 2 Compulsory EKO102 ECONOMICS II 3 5 2 Compulsory ING102 ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS II 3 3 2 Compulsory MAT102 CALCULUS II 3 5 2 Compulsory MAT104 LINEAR ALGEBRA 3 5 2 Compulsory TUR102 TURKISH II - 2 2 Compulsory IST106 STATISTICAL METHODS II 3 5 2 Compulsory ISL106 FUNDAMENTALS OF MANAGEMENT 3 5 - 3 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 3 Compulsory MAT203 ADVANCED MATHEMATICS II 3 6 3 Compulsory TAR201 PRINCIPLES and REFORMS of ATATURK I - 2 3 Compulsory ING201 READING and SPEAKING in ENGLISH 3 3 3 Compulsory İST201 MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS & PROBABILITY I 3 6 3 Compulsory İST203 PROGRAMLAMA DİLLERİ 3 5 3 Compulsory İST211 OPERATION RESEARCH I 3 4 - 4 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 4 Compulsory ING202 PROFESSIONAL FOREIGN LANGUAGE I 3 3 4 Compulsory MAT204 ADVANCE MATHEMATICS II 3 5 4 Compulsory TAR202 PRINCIPLES and REFORMS of ATATURK II - 2 4 Compulsory İST202 MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS & PROBABILITY 2 3 6 4 Compulsory İST212 OPERATION RESEARCH II 3 4 4 Compulsory İST216 FİNANS MATEMATİĞİ 3 5 - 5 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 5 Compulsory ING301 PROFESSIONAL FOREIGN LANGUAGE II 3 4 5 Compulsory IST303 SURVEY SAMPLING 3 5 5 Compulsory IST311 REGRESSION ANALYSIS 3 6 5 Compulsory IST317 CATEGORICAL DATA ANALYSIS 3 5 5 Elective IST301 STATISTICAL SIMULATION 3 5 5 Elective ISL103 GENERAL ACCOUNTING I 3 5 5 Elective ISL209 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT I 3 5 - 6 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 6 Compulsory IST302 STATISTICAL SOFTWARE 3 5 6 Compulsory IST304 NON-PARAMETRIC STATISTICS 3 5 6 Compulsory IST318 LIFE INSURANCE MATHEMATICS 3 5 6 Compulsory IST320 OPERATINGS SYSTEMS 3 5 6 Elective EKO306 TURKISH ECONOMY 3 5 6 Elective ISL104 GENERAL ACCOUNTING II 3 5 6 Elective ISL210 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT II 3 5 - 7 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 7 Compulsory IST401 MULTIVARIATE STATISTICAL ANALYSIS 3 7 7 Compulsory İST407 TIME SERIES ANALYSIS 3 6 7 Compulsory İST413 Web Programming 3 7 7 Elective EKO401 ECONOMETRIC METHODS 3 5 7 Elective İST411 FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND TECHNIQUES 3 5 7 Elective ISL403 PROJECT EVALUATION 3 5 7 Elective ISL411 MARKETING RESEARCH 3 5 - 8 - Semester Type Course Code Course Name Credits ECTS Credits 8 Compulsory IST404 STOCHASTIC PROCESSES 3 7 8 Compulsory IST406 RESEARCH PROJECT 3 7 8 Compulsory İST410 Database Management Systems 3 7 8 Elective İST416 FINANCIAL TIME SERIES 3 5 8 Elective İŞL402 DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS 3 4 8 Elective ISL406 PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT 3 5
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading
A student is required to successfully all the courses listed in the above. Minimum of 240 ECTS credit is required for the Bachelor's Degree. A minimum of 120 ECTS credits in the courses listed in the first semesters of the program to obtain an Associate Degree. It is necessary to have a minimum of 2.00 / 4. 00 GPA to earn a degree.
Mode of Study
Chair of the Department
Prof. Dr. Cenap ERDEMİR
Reengineering Departmental Coordinator
Assist. Prof. Aslıhan ALHAN
Courses – Key Learning Outcomes Relation Matrix
NQF-HETR/Program Competencies Matrix